Periodontal disease refers to any disease that affects your gums. This can be a difficult condition to treat without the proper training and certification. At Cosmetic & Esthetic Dentistry, we have an in-house, Board-Certified periodontist so you can receive your gum treatment at the same location that you can receive all of your general dentistry needs.
Gum disease can arise from a heightened amount of bacteria in your mouth which can cause a build-up of tartar on your teeth. If this is left untreated, it can lead to inflammation and disease in your gums.
If you believe you may need gum treatments, please contact Cosmetic & Esthetic Dentistry. Our Boston oral surgeon can help diagnose and treat your gum disease with a variety of techniques. Please call us today at 781-396-8558.
What is Gum Disease?
Your mouth naturally has bacteria in it that can be combined with food particles and mucus and form plaque on your teeth. This plaque can be removed through brushing, flossing, and regular oral care. However, if plaque goes untreated because you don’t maintain good oral care or don’t visit your dentist, it can turn into tartar on your teeth. If tartar builds up, it can lead to gum disease.
Gum disease can manifest itself in several different ways, including the following:
- Gingivitis – when tartar is left on teeth for too long, it can lead to gingivitis which includes red, swollen gums that can bleed easily. Oftentimes, gingivitis can be treated through regular visits to your Boston general dentist and good oral care. Periodontitis – if gingivitis is untreated, it can turn into periodontitis. Your gums can pull away from the infected teeth, leaving infected pockets. These pockets can lead to infected tissue and bone damage.
Gum Disease Symptoms and Treatment
If you have gum disease, you may be experiencing any of the following:
- Red, swollen gums
- Gums that bleed
- Constant bad breath
- Tender or painful gums
- Difficulty chewing
- Loose teeth
- Gums that appear to be receding
- Sensitive teeth
In order to properly treat your gum disease, our Medford oral surgeon will first work with our general dentist, Dr. Clancy, to determine how far along your gum disease has progressed. After this, our oral surgeon, Dr. Martins, will establish how advanced the treatment needs to be to reverse the damage to your gums.
Gum disease treatment may include:
- Better at-home oral care
- Regular dental visits
- Scaling – our Boston oral surgeon will remove the tartar from above and below the gum line
- Root planing – removes rough spots on the teeth that may attract bacteria and germs
- Laser use – our oral surgeon may also utilize a laser to effectively clean the infected teeth to ensure that gum disease doesn’t continue
- Oral surgery to correct or repair infected gum sockets or infected portions of your jaw bone
Experienced Boston Oral Surgeon
At Cosmetic & Esthetic Dentistry, our board-certified oral surgeon/periodontist will work with you to determine the best course of treatment for your gum disease. We strive for a personal approach that will give you the comfort you deserve.
If you have any of the symptoms of gum disease, please contact Cosmetic & Esthetic Dentistry today. Our Cambridge dentist and oral surgeon will work with you to diagnose and treat your problems for the best possible outcome. Call us today at 781-396-8558.