Signs of gum disease are often first detected during your regularly scheduled appointments at our Medford office. However, if you notice any of the symptoms of gum disease in between visits, you should call us at 781-396-8558 as soon as possible to schedule an appointment.
Diagnosing the Need for Gum Treatment
Symptoms of gum disease include:
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- Gum bleeding
- Pain when chewing
- Increased tooth sensitivity
- Loose teeth
- Receding gums or gums pulling away from teeth
- Chronic bad breath
If you are experiencing any of these problems, we can detect the cause and begin a treatment plan that helps protect your teeth and prevent serious systemic issues.
Treatment for Periodontal Disease
If your gum disease is at its beginning stages, a dental hygiene and cleaning visit combined with a more thorough at-home routine may be all it takes to treat the issue. We will provide you with all of the information you need to help ensure your home routine helps prevent a recurrence when this is the case.
If your gum disease has progressed, our periodontist may need to perform more advanced treatments. These may include:
- Scaling and root planning: With this treatment, plaque and tartar are removed from below the gum line and the tooth roots are smoothed to help prevent future problems.
- Pocket sterilization: With laser dentistry, we can remove infection from gum pockets caused by gum disease and help prevent bacteria from coming back.
- Gum grafting: When gum disease causes your gum tissue to pull away from your teeth, our dentists may suggest grafting tissue to the area to protect your tooth roots.
- Bone grafting: If your gum disease has progressed into your bone, our periodontist may need to strengthen and rebuild portions of your jaw through this more advanced surgical technique.
We take the most conservative approach possible when treating gum disease. This is easier when we are able to provide treatment at the earliest stages of this common oral health issue. The treatment you require will be based on your specific needs and discussed with you in full during your appointment.
If you live in Boston or the surrounding areas and are suffering from any of the symptoms of gum disease, please contact Cosmetic & Esthetic Dentistry today at 781-396-8558 to schedule a comprehensive examination.