As a part of our team’s efforts to provide you with the best dental care under one roof, we have a board-certified periodontist/dental surgeon. By offering dental surgery option under the same roof as all of our general dentistry options, you can now receive top-notch care without having to be outsourced to another facility.
Dental surgery and the tests leading up to it can all be done by our experienced periodontist, Dr. Martins. Dr. Valerie Martins performs procedures that can improve your overall dental health and your smile’s appearance.
Dental Surgery Procedures
Oral surgery requires vital steps in order for proper preparation. One of the biggest benefits of having an in-house oral surgeon is that our team can perform the necessary biopsies and tests before prescribing oral surgery.
Utilizing our experienced dental surgeon, our team can now perform all of the following:
- Periodontal disease treatment
- Wisdom tooth extractions
- Flap surgery
- Bone grafts
- Soft tissue grafts
- Dental implant surgical placement
- Sinus lifts
Being certified as a periodontist means that Dr. Martins can accurately diagnose gum disease and is certified to properly treat it. Dr. Martins can take incisional or excisional biopsies, depending on what needs diagnosing. An incisional biopsy allows her to take a small sample of the tissue that needs examination and an excisional biopsy involves the entire removal of the affected tissue.
Bone grafts can be done after a tooth extraction or other procedure where the bone in the jaw may need be more dense in order for the procedure to work. A sinus lift allows our Boston dental team to add teeth to areas where the body may have absorbed the existing bone due to tooth loss.
Our In-House Oral Surgeon
Performing safe and successful surgical dental procedures requires extensive technical training and hands-on experience. Our in-house oral surgeon meets both of those qualifications and many more.
As a board-certified periodontist, Dr. Valerie Martins specializes in:
- Surgical dental implants – With Dr. Martin’s expertise, you can feel assured that your dental implants are in the best of hands. Dr. Martin performs oral surgery to insert your dental implants into the jaw. She uses the information gained from your x-rays to determine the best position to place the dental implants.
- Tooth extractions (including wisdom teeth) – Not every tooth extraction is simple. When a tooth becomes impacted, Dr. Martins has to cut through your gums and extract your tooth in pieces. Her skills as an oral surgeon help complete your extraction quickly and seamlessly.
- Gum disease treatment with bone and flap surgery – When gum disease progresses, surgery becomes the only way to treat you. Dr. Martins is skilled at treating gum disease through oral surgery including bone and flap surgery which repairs the damage done to the bone from gum disease.
Additional procedures she commonly performs include:
- Incisional or excisional biopsies for diagnoses – If we notice anything out of the ordinary going on inside your mouth like a sore or white or red spot that hasn’t gone away, we will order a biopsy from Dr. Martins to verify that it isn’t mouth cancer. An early diagnosis will ensure a more successful treatment.
- Bone grafts and soft tissue grafts to ensure a more successful procedure – Whether you need extra bone in your jaw to hold dental implants or you lost some due to gum disease, a bone graft can help you restore the bone that was lost.
- Sinus lifts for more precise tooth placement
Dr. Martins also makes a concerted effort to assess your needs individually to ensure that your oral surgery procedure will effectively address your specific aesthetic concerns and dental issues.
Benefits of On-site Surgery
While many dental practices have to send patients to other offices for oral surgeries, our in-house capabilities offer numerous benefits, including:
- Convenience: With Dr. Martins available to perform oral surgeries right here at our own office, you won’t have to worry about going to another location to receive treatment.
- Consistently exceptional care: By staying on-site with our Boston dentist, we can ensure that you receive the top-quality care you deserve.
- Additional treatment options: As a skilled oral surgeon, Dr. Martins can provide a wide range of treatment options to make your visits more productive and your procedures more efficient.
With the help of Dr. Martins, Cosmetic & Esthetic Dentistry is proud to be able to offer so many advantages for our patients. If you are in need of a surgical procedure, call (781) 396-8558 to schedule an appointment with our experienced Boston dentist.